New Zealand Moist Carrot cake
Member recipe by chrishydro
Original recipe from the Food aid cookbook, BBC 1986, Yolanda Couchman, Virginia Water.
- 250g (9 oz) plain wholemeal flour
- 175g (6 oz) raw sugar (muscovado or Barbados)
- 175g (6 oz) soft brown sugar
- 3 x size three eggs
- 175ml (6 fl oz) sunflower oil
- 55ml (2 fl oz) soured cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla essence
- Approx. 1 teaspoon freshly-grated nutmeg
- 2 level teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 300g (11 oz) grated carrots
- 75g (3 oz) desiccated coconut
- For the topping
- 110g 4 oz) full fat soft cream cheese
- 50g (2 oz) unsalted butter
- 50g (2 oz) sifted icing sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Pre-heat over to gas mark 2, 150 C (300 F). You will need one 20cm (8 inch) round cake tin (lined with greaseproof paper) and two mixing bowls.
- In the first mixing bowl you place: eggs, oil, vanilla essence, soured cream. Next sieve the sugars into it as well (to avoid lumps).
- Into the second bowl you sift the: flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, soda, salt.
- Beat the wet ingredients and the sugars together, then fold in the dry ingredients, followed by the carrots and coconut. Mix well to distribute everything evenly, then spoon into the cake tin and bake on the centre shelf for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- When the cake is cool mix the topping ingredients together and spread thickly all over the top . As an option you can slice the cake in half and spread some of the 'topping' in between the two halves.