Green rice with cod and morels
Member recipe by valenciacity
This recipe comes from the Michelin Star, Riff Restaurant in the heart of Valencia. Head chef and owner Bernd Knoller opened the restaurant in September 2000 to offer a contemporary dining atmosphere combined with minimalist elegance.
- 400 ml of Anima Aurea olive oil
- Handful of fresh herbs (sage, a dash of thyme, oregano, fennel, chives and parsley)
- 100 g mixed rocket and mustard leaves
- 150g unsalted cod
- Handful of morels
- 2 cups Bomba rice
- 5 shallots
- 1 tbsp almonds
- 1 tbsp soy lecithin
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 l chicken stick
- salt to taste
- The first step is to make a fresh herb pesto with 250 ml of Anima Aurea olive oil, a handful of fresh herbs (sage, a dash of thyme, oregano, fennel, chives and parsley) and a few almonds. Make a fine mixture, as if this was an Italian pesto (but obviously without cheese). Do not add salt.
- Next make a smooth olive oil emulsion with Anima Aurea olive oil, a bit of mineral water and one tablespoon of soy lecithin which allows the ingredients to blend the oil with the water without losing any of its characteristics. Add a pinch of salt. Heat gently (at around 50 C) to avoid wasting the great flavours of this olive sauce.
- Cod confit at 52 C: Put about 150g of unsalted cod centre in a vacuum seal bag with about 0.05 l of Anima Aurea olive oil. Heat it in the Rohner (water bath) at 52 C for about 12 minutes. The time also depends on the temperature of the cod and its thickness. Open the bag and separate the cod into strips.
- Morels: For the morels, saute a few shallots in olive oil, add the well-cleaned morels and a little chicken stock. Blend the stock with olive oil at the last minute.
- Small fresh herb salad: Dress the dish with a few herbs, some rocket and mustard leaves with Anima Aurea olive oil and very little salt. Do not use any vinegar, because it would take away the flavour of the oil.
- Rice in Anima Aurea olive oil: Saute a few shallots and garlic, previously chopped into small cubes, with olive oil in a cast iron saucepan. Do not brown then add two cups of Bomba rice (medium grain white rice, used for paella), stir around a few times and add 350 ml of very hot chicken stock. Now add a pinch of salt. Cook the rice for 18 minutes in all, stirring with a wooden spoon occasionally at first, but almost constantly in the last 5 minutes. This is important for releasing its starch, which helps to lighten the rice. After 18 minutes, remove the saucepan from the heat, add three tablespoons of herbs and half a cup of Anima Aurea olive oil, stir frequently with the wooden spoon and add salt to taste.
- Presentation: Place the rice on 4 preheated deep plates, put a morel on top, then the cod strips, the light Anima Aurea olive oil emulsion, recently stirred so it is sufficiently blended, and finally the fresh herbs dressed with olive oil.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…