Homemade Breakfast Snack
Member recipe by stelladias77
- 150 grams flour, all-purpose
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 75 grams butter chilled
- 1/2 whole egg yolk beaten
- 50 millilitres water Cooled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil filling
- 1 teaspoon garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon red onion chopped
- 150 grams salmon crumbled
- 150 grams mashed potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon salt to taste
- 11/2 whole egg beaten
- This recipe will have enough dough and filling to make 2 breakfast snacks.
- Sift the flour. Place the flour and salt in a large bowl. Mix. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Next add approximately 1/2 of the egg yolk and the water. Mix well your hands. Try to work quickly.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 10 -15 minutes.
- Now take the chilled dough and cut it in half. Roll each half out into a 12 inch square that is about 1/8 inch thick, using a rolling pin.
- Put a heart shaped greased mold (the mold should be 8-10 inches across) onto a 12-inch square pastry sheet. Before using the mold brush it with butter or coking spray. Break off pieces of dough and press them into the mold make sure the dough goes up the sides as well. Then trim off the excess pastry that hangs over the side. Prick the base with a fork to prevent air bubbles. Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- In a pan heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat, add garlic and mix until slightly softened. Next add onion, salmon, and prepared (or leftover) mashed potatoes. Mix until onion is softened and everything is heated through. Add pepper and salt. Mix well.
- Place half of your prepared filling in each pastry heart. Beat one egg until light and frothy and pour egg over the mixture. Brush the edges of the pastry with some of the remaining egg wash then place additional pastry over the top, covering half of the mixture (the top will be half open, half covered) and roll and press down to seal. (see picture) Brush the remaining egg on top of the pastry.
- Bake about 20 minutes at 200 c degrees or until the crust is golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy.
- see my website