Roasted vegetables with rice
Member recipe by fluffyhelen
A lovely summery and light meal. I first ate this in a cafe in Oxford, UK and set about perfecting a version at home. Enjoy !
- You will need:
- 1 x butternut squash
- 4 x small beetroot (vacuum pack from tesco)
- 1 x sweet potato
- 1 x pack of cherry tomatoes
- 1 x can of chick peas
- Paprika, cumin, tumeric, coriander leaf and ginger
- 175g of the rice of your choice
- Optional: sultanas to mix into the rice.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Chop up the vegetables into reasonably sized chunks. The chunkier the better for roasting. Spread out evenly in a *large* roasting tin. NOT THE CHERRY TOMATOES OR CHICKPEAS.
- Fill up a cup (small white IKEA variety works fine) half-full with olive oil and then add the following herbs in reasonable quantities: paprika, cumin, tumeric, coriander leaf, ginger (and anything else vaguely Indian sounding).
- Pour the oil mixture over the vegetables.
- Put roasting tin in the oven and roast for approximately 40 minutes. Approximately 20 minutes in, stir the veg around a bit to make sure they roast evenly.
- After 40 minutes remove tin, add can of chickpeas and the cherry tomatoes.
- Put tin back into the oven for another 10-15 minutes. At this stage you should also set the rice cooking.
- Serve the roasted vegetables on a bed of rice.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…