Chocolate Torte (Gluten Free)
Member recipe by ___dhj___
My wife's a coeliac - she can't eat gluten. I'm no cook, but I easily made this for her recently as a surprise- she loved it!
- 200g butter, in small cubes.
- 200g of dark chocolate. (A Cadbury Bournville bar weighs exactly 200g - so no stealing!)
- 6 large eggs, separate out the yolks.
- 200g castor sugar.
- Cocoa powder or icing sugar for dusting (optional).
- A 24cm cake tin (ideally with a loose base).
- Switch on your oven and heat to 180C/fan or 200C/Gas 6. Grease the tin's sides and line the base with baking parchment.
- Melt the butter and chocolate. Start off briefly in a microwave, then smooth together over simmering water. Leave to cool.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until smooth - will take a couple of minutes. Add the cooled chocolate mix and combine until nice and smooth.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks start to form. Place half of the stiffened whites into the chocolate and egg mix. Fold gently until combined, then add the remaining egg white.
- Pour into the tin and bake in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven when the middle is just set.
- Leave to cool. It may crack and sink, but don't worry. Carefully turn out of the tin when cool.
- Dust with cocoa, or icing sugar. Can be served with cream, but is excellent on its own.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…