Chicken and Houmous Pittas
Member recipe by keitho
- 4 chicken breasts (also works well with tuna!)
- 1-2 round lettuces (finely chopped)
- 4 tomatoes (diced into small pieces)
- Half a cucumber (diced into small pieces)
- 300g houmous
- 2-4 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
- 12 pitta pockets
- For the marinade:
- Juice from 2 limes
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons of ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of dried mint (or finely chopped fresh mint)
- Dice the chicken breast into small cubes. Mix the lime juice, cumin, coriander, turmeric and mint in a bowl. Coat the chicken in the mixture and marinate in the fridge for 24 hours (you can do it without marinating for very long if you like).
- Chop up the lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber into small pieces and put them into a bowl.
- Mix the houmous and Greek yoghurt in a bowl.
- Fry the chicken in a big frying pan. The lime juice will come out of the chicken, so keep frying until it's all reduced.
- Warm the pitta pockets in a toaster and open them (take care not to let the steam burn your hand!). In the picture shown, I used large pittas, so I cut them in half instead.
- Stuff in the ingredients however you like. I prefer to coat the inside of the pittas with the houmous/yoghurt and then layer the ingredients, but if you're preparing many for a large party, it's much quicker to mix all the ingredients together and spoon the mixture into the pockets.
- Get stuck in and don't forget the paper towels - it can get very messy!