Chicken and Houmous Pittas
Member recipe by keitho
Cooking time24 hours marinating
- 4 chicken breasts (also works well with tuna!)
- 1-2 round lettuces (finely chopped)
- 4 tomatoes (diced into small pieces)
- Half a cucumber (diced into small pieces)
- 300g houmous
- 2-4 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
- 12 pitta pockets
- For the marinade:
- Juice from 2 limes
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons of ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of dried mint (or finely chopped fresh mint)
- Dice the chicken breast into small cubes. Mix the lime juice, cumin, coriander, turmeric and mint in a bowl. Coat the chicken in the mixture and marinate in the fridge for 24 hours (you can do it without marinating for very long if you like).
- Chop up the lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber into small pieces and put them into a bowl.
- Mix the houmous and Greek yoghurt in a bowl.
- Fry the chicken in a big frying pan. The lime juice will come out of the chicken, so keep frying until it's all reduced.
- Warm the pitta pockets in a toaster and open them (take care not to let the steam burn your hand!). In the picture shown, I used large pittas, so I cut them in half instead.
- Stuff in the ingredients however you like. I prefer to coat the inside of the pittas with the houmous/yoghurt and then layer the ingredients, but if you're preparing many for a large party, it's much quicker to mix all the ingredients together and spoon the mixture into the pockets.
- Get stuck in and don't forget the paper towels - it can get very messy!
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…