Points to remember
- Boil the apricot jam with a splash of water, then strain out any lumps using a sieve.
- Brush the the plate or cake board where you want to place the cake. This will help it stick.
- Level the top of the cake if necessary. Turn it over and stick down. This will give you a flat surface to decorate.
- Use a piece of string to measure the top and sides of the cake. Cut the string. You'll then know how big to roll out the marzipan.
- Brush the cake with jam so the marzipan will stick.
- Roll out the marzipan slightly wider than the string - this makes it easier to mould onto the cake.
- Use the rolling pin to lift the marzipan. Lift over the cake and carefully unroll.
- Ease down the sides, smooth the surface and trim the base.
Trimming your cake
If you use a cake recipe that's specifically designed for decorating as well as the correct tin size, the cake will ideally be level and won't need trimming. However as baking has many variables including slightly different oven temperatures, don't worry if yours doesn't behave!