Points to remember:
- To make a traditional lemon sorbet you'll need to start by making a sugar syrup. Put 250ml water in a pan and add 250g white caster sugar and a strip of lemon peel. Bring to a simmer to dissolve the sugar then leave the mixture to cool. This allows the flavour from the lemon peel to infuse into the syrup.
- When the syrup has cooled remove the lemon peel and add the lemon juice – we used 100ml.
- You can now freeze the mixture by pouring it into a freezable container and placing directly into your freezer. Take it out of the freezer every hour or so to stir it and break up the ice crystals. Repeat until it’s a scoopable consistency.
- Alternatively pour the mixture into an ice cream machine and follow the manufacturers instructions, ours took about 1 hour.
- For a cheat's sorbet, you can freeze the syrup solid, cut it into chunks then blitz it in a blender until slushy and refreeze until scoopable.
Looking for more inspiration? Take a look at all our favourite sorbet recipes.