Points to remember
- Boil the eggs, then quickly scoop into iced water. Soft or hard boil them according to your preference.
- Mix together the sausagemeat, egg, flavourings and seasoning.
- Peel the cooled eggs.
- Take a good chunk of mince and pat it out evenly to cover one hand.
- Roll the egg in flour and place it on the mince. Encase the egg, adding extra mince if there's a gap.
- Dip the Scotch egg in beaten egg and then roll it in breadcrumbs to coat.
- Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to firm up and set.
- Pour the oil in a deep, heavy-based pan, to no more than one third full.
- Heat the oil to 160C - you can use a cooking thermometer to check the temperature.
- Use a frying basket if you have one and cook for 5 – 10 mins depending on the size of the Scotch egg.
- Turn gently, using a slotted spoon, to cook and colour evenly.
Oil for deep-frying
Use an oil with a high smoke point for frying, sunflower or groundnut are good choices.