Points to remember
- Put the chopped onion, crushed garlic and butter in a large, microwave-safe jug or bowl and microwave for 30 seconds to soften a little.
- Add sweet paprika, ground cumin, chilli flakes, 1/2 a stock cube and the kidney beans.
- Sieve the tomatoes to remove some of the excess liquid and add those too, along with a couple of squares of dark chocolate. Stir everything together and cover with cling film.
- Pierce the cling film and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Leave to stand for a minute. Carefully peel back the cling film, stir, then cover again and microwave for a further 2 minutes.
- Leave to stand for a further minute before serving.
Our microwave chilli recipe
Make Jack's microwave chilli recipe in just 15 minutes!
Half the spice
Use half the amount of spices than you’d use if you were cooking the same dish on the hob. This is because cooking in the microwave is much faster so the herbs and spices don’t infuse and mellow in the same way.
Don't get steamy
Be very careful when lifting off the cling film lid. Make sure you pull it from the back so that the steam escapes away from you not towards you.
Stop and stir
Don’t be tempted to skip the stirring step and just microwave for 4 mins in one go. By doing it for 2 mins, stopping to stir and repeating the chilli will cook properly and evenly.
Beware of metal
"Never, put anything metal in the microwave, or any crockery with a metal trim. Metal reflects the microwave and catches fire – with my firefighter hat on, it’s a common cause of kitchen fire, and kitchen fires quickly turn into house fires. If in doubt, leave it out." – Jack Monroe