Points to remember
- Cover the outside of your cake in a thin layer of buttercream. This is called a crumb coat.
- Press pieces of coloured fondant icing/roll-out icing together. Knead briefly to blur the colours.
- Dust your worksurface and rolling pin with icing sugar then roll out the icing.
- Carefully transfer to your cake, smooth down the surface starting at the top then trim the base with a small sharp knife.
- Wrap a colourful ribbon around to finish.
Give it a go with our easy vanilla cake recipe.
You can buy icing in different colours, which you can use as they are, or mix together to make more colours. Alternatively you can buy white icing and knead a few drops of food colouring through it. It's a good idea to wear gloves if you're dying the icing yourself as the food colouring can stain your hands.