How to make a gingerbread house
We show you how to make an edible house from homemade gingerbread by securing the walls with icing before decorating the outside with sweets.
Points to remember
- Roll out some of the gingerbread dough on greaseproof paper then cut out the sides, roof and wall panels using the templates.
- Slide the cutout pieces, still on the greaseproof paper, onto baking sheets.
- Decorate the roof panel with slivered almonds, putting them in at an angle to look like roof tiles.
- Once baked and cooled, start to build the house, joining the wall together with generous stripes of icing.
- Once walls are dry, fix on the roof using icing from piping bag - hold firm to allow icing to set.
- Decorate side walls with mini chocolate fingers fixed with icing. Make a door using chocolate fingers and place sweets around and above the door.
- Make a star burst window at the top of the front wall using the sweets.
- Pipe icing along the top of the roof and around the edges of the roof to look like icicles.
- Cut a small chocolate roll in half on the diagonal for the chimney and fix with icing - decorate around the top.
- Scatter sweets around the house and make a path.
- Finish with a dusting of icing sugar for a snowy look.
See the full recipe for this simple gingerbread house.
MAKING A GINGERBREAD HOUSE
To make the icicles on the roof, squeeze the icing onto the roof using a piping bag, then pull away.