Four ways to decorate a cake
1. How to make a sugar heart
- Mark out your design in the cake frosting using a skewer.
- Fill a piping bag with coloured sugar and snip off the tip at an angle.
- Carefully pour out the sugar following your guide.
2. How to make an icing sugar pattern
- Cut a template out of paper.
- Lay the template on the cake, making sure it’s flat.
- Dust generously with icing sugar, then carefully lift off the template to reveal the design.
3. How to make a drizzled chocolate pattern
- Melt one or more types of chocolate.
- Use a spoon to zigzag each chocolate across the cake.
4. How to crystallise rose petals
- Lightly whisk an egg white in a small bowl.
- Paint a petal all over with egg white, cover evenly with caster sugar, then shake off the excess. Repeat with each petal.
- Dry the petals on baking parchment for at least 3 hours. Arrange them on your cake.
Get more cake decorating advice…
DECORATING CAKES WITH ICING SUGAR
Use a doily to create a pretty design on top of your cake. Simply lay it flat over the top and then dust generously with icing sugar. Remove the doily to reveal the pattern.