Points to remember
- Put the leg, meatier side down, on a large chopping board and use your fingers to locate the bone.
- Cut down vertically along the length of the leg to the bone, then begin to cut around the bone.
- Scrape the meat away from the bone as closely as possible.
- Continue to work your knife around and lift the bone free.
- Open out the lamb and cut down through any thicker parts, to give an even thickness.
- Cut away excess fat and sinew.
- Lay a piece of cling film over the meat and bash the surface with a rolling pin to flatten it slightly.
- The meat should be an even thickness throughout.
- Marinate or flavour the lamb according to your recipe.
- Oven cook or barbecue your meat.
Butterflying a leg of lamb
It's worth leaving some fat on your lamb to keep the meat moist during cooking.