Points to remember:
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Whisk together 150ml vegetable oil, 200g golden caster sugar, 3 eggs, 200g self-raising flour, ½ tsp baking powder, 50ml espresso coffee and a pinch of salt with electric beaters until very pale and light.
- Line a 20cm x 30cm tin with baking parchment then pour in the mixture.
- Bake 25-30 mins or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is still warm, drizzle over 2 tbsp coffee liqueur.
- Using a chopstick or the end or a wooden spoon, poke regular holes all over the sponge. Leave to cool completely.
- Bring 150ml double cream to simmer in a saucepan then add 75ml coffee liqueur. Take the pan off the heat then add the hot cream to 200g dark chocolate and leave to stand for 2 mins before stirring. Mix until smooth, then pour over the whole cake, making sure that the chocolate mixture both floods all the holes and sits on top. Leave to set somewhere cool.
- Mix 200g icing sugar with 25ml espresso coffee and 25ml vodka in a bowl until smooth then drizzle over the top of the cake.
- Decorate with walnuts, whole coffee beans and a little grated white chocolate if you like. Slice into bars to serve.
Enjoy this poke cake? Try our other beautiful bakes...