How to make lemon drizzle scones
Give traditional scones a zingy twist with lemon drizzle icing, perfect for an afternoon tea or Mother's Day treat. Serve with clotted cream and jam.
How to make lemon drizzle scones:
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 6 and grease a large baking tray.
- Mix together 125ml buttermilk and 4 tbsp whole milk and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add 250g self-raising flour, 1 tsp baking powder and 50g butter and rub together.
- Add 25g golden caster sugar, zest of 2 lemons and the thickened milk. Combine the mixture carefully.
- Pat out the dough. Use a 7cm cookie cutter to cut out the scones.
- Place the scones onto a baking tray and bake for 10-12 mins. Leave to cool.
- Mix 3 tbsp icing sugar with zest of 1 lemon and a squeeze of lemon juice. Drizzle over the scones.
- Scatter with 4 crushed white sugar cubes. Leave to set for 10 mins. Serve with clotted cream and jam.
See the full recipe for lemon drizzle scones.
More afternoon tea ideas and Mother's Day inspiration:
What's your favourite afternoon tea recipe? Leave a comment below...