How to make an easy chocolate cake
Make a moreish chocolate cake for an afternoon tea or birthday with this simple recipe. Decorate with delicious, rich chocolate buttercream.
Make the cake:
- In a large bowl, beat together 200g golden caster sugar, 200g butter, 4 eggs, 200g self-raising flour, 2 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 tsp baking powder, ½ tsp vanilla extract and 2 tbsp milk.
- Split the mixture between two lined 20cm cake tins.
- Bake for 20 mins at 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
Make the chocolate buttercream icing:
- Mash together 200g butter and 400g icing sugar using a fork, then beat with a whisk until fully combined.
- Sift in 5 tbsp cocoa powder and add 100g melted milk chocolate and 2 tbsp milk. Beat together.
Layer and decorate your cake:
- Sandwich the cakes together with a layer of buttercream icing in between.
- Spread the rest of the icing on top with a palette knife. Decorate with chocolate shards, if you like.
See the full recipe for our easy chocolate cake and find out how to make chocolate shard decorations that you can add.