Points to remember:
- In a small bowl mix together 1 tbsp salt with 1 tsp ground black pepper, 2 tsp smoked paprika and ½ tsp cinnamon. Rub the spice mixture over 2kg pork shoulder, skin removed. Put 2 tbsp flour onto a plate then coat each piece of pork on all sides.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a large frying pan then sear the coated pork for 1-2 mins on all sides until golden (you may have to do this in batches).
- Put 1 sliced onion at the bottom of a 3-litre slow cooker. Add the seared meat.
- Add 4 crushed garlic cloves, 3 tbsp onion marmalade, 2 tbsp black treacle, 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar and 150ml apple juice to the slow cooker. Pop the lid on and cook on the low setting for 6-8 hrs.
- When you’re ready to serve, take the meat out of the slow cooker leaving the cooking liquor behind. Put the cooked meat on a roasting tray or large shallow bowl, ladle over a little of the cooking juices. Pull the meat into bite-size chunks and shred with 2 forks or a spoon and a fork. Add a splash more cooking liquor.
- Pile the pulled pork in to burger buns with your choice of fillings. We used smoky barbecue sauce, coleslaw, watercress and American mustard.
More party food hacks...