Member recipe by samsimpson
ServingsServes 1 - 10 Pancakes
- 1kg/2lb 4oz old or baking potatoes, peeled, soaked in cold water until needed
- 1 onion, peeled
- 25g/1oz plain flour or fine matzoh meal
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- salt and freshly ground white pepper
- olive or vegetable oil, for frying
- For the latkes, finely grate the potatoes and onion and mix together.
- Place the grated potato and onion into a colander and squeeze out as much moisture as you can. Or roll up the potato and onion in a clean kitchen tea towel and wring well to extract the liquid.
- Mix the potato and onion with the flour, egg and salt and freshly ground white pepper.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan until moderately hot and then place heaped tablespoons of the mixture into the pan to shallow-fry. Lower the heat to medium, flatten each latke with the back of a spoon and fry for about five minutes on each side, turning over when the edges turn golden-brown. If the heat is too high, the latkes will become dark-brown on the outside before they are cooked inside.
- Remove the latkes from the pan and drain on brown paper bags (they absorb the oil, leave the latkes crisper and the latkes won't stick to the paper).
- Serve the latkes hot with soured cream.