Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
An easy, healthy and filling paella-style dish of vegetables and rice.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 green and 1 red pepper, cored and diced
- 1 cup (that's cup and not mug) of peas (frozen are fine)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- a good pinch of saffron threads (not absolutely necessary), dissolved in
- 800ml chicken or vegetable stock
- ground black pepper
- 250-300g any long or short grain rice
- chopped parsley, optional, as much as you like
- STEP 1Prepare all the ingredients and have them lined up in front of you in the order listed above - sounds a bit pedantic, I know, but always makes cooking easier.
- STEP 2Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan, add the onions and garlic, cover and cook for about 3 minutes until soft. Then add the peppers and peas, stir in, cover again and cook for a few more minutes.
- STEP 3Make a well in the centre, put the tomatoes in the well and the paprika on top. Then add the stock (with the saffron if you have it), but make sure it doesn't overflow: if it gets more then half a cm close to the rim of the pan, stop adding stock and just use less rice. Season with pepper and stir.
- STEP 4Scatter as much of the rice as you think will fit over the stock (depends on your pan, really), stir it in gently, then allow it to simmer gently until the liquid has absorbed and the rice is cooked. This could take about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Test a bit of the rice to see if it's cooked, add a bit of stock or hot water if it is not done.
- STEP 5Stir in the parsley a few minutes before it has finished cooking, if you want to use it, then serve hot. It's also pretty nice cold and should keep for a few days in the fridge.