Savoury Tickler Cheesecake
Member recipe by pastyman
A smooth, tasty, simple savoury Tickler cheesecake with a real bite
- 200g medium or rough oatcakes, finely crushed
- 125g butter, melted
- 250g full fat soft cheese
- 250g ricotta
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 100g Tickler cheddar, cut into small cubes
- 1tbsp chopped chives
- 2tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 500g shallots, peeled
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2tbsp olive oil
- Uses a 20cm spring form cake tin, base lined with baking parchment and an oiled, baking sheet
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 3/170C. Mix together the oatcakes and butter, then press into the cake tin, smoothing the surface with a spoon. Chill for at least 30 minutes
- Whisk together soft cheese, ricotta and eggs until smooth, then add two thirds of the Tickler, chives, thyme and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pour into tin, and scatter over remaining Tickler. Place tin onto a baking sheet and bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until the cheesecake is slightly springy to the touch around the edges, and the centre is wobbly but not liquid. Remove from oven and leave to cool before chilling, preferably overnight to allow the flavours to develop.
- While the cheesecake is baking, place the shallots, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil into an oven proof dish and cook at the top of the oven for about 40 minutes, turning occasionally, until tender and golden. Cool and chill until ready to serve.
- To serve, run a sharp knife around the inside of the cake tin, before removing the cheesecake from the tin. Transfer to a serving plate, carefully removing the baking parchment. Top with shallots and any cooking juices.