Avoca Cafe Brown Bread
Member recipe by muireannwalsh
ServingsServes 1 - 1 Bread
- 200g White flour
- 300g Course brown flour
- 3 handfuls bran
- 2 handfuls wheatgerm
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 level tsp salt
- 1 desertspoon treacle
- 600 - 900ml milk
- sesame seeds, for sprinkling on top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200C/Fan 180C. Generously oil a large loaf pan. Dust it with dried breadcrumbs if available.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the treacle & gradually stir in enough milk to give the batter a "moist but not sloppy" texture.
- Turn the batter into the prepared pan & shake to level. Back somewhere between 6 to 20 mins, keeping an eye on the bread to see when it has risen. When it has risen reduce the heat to 160C & continue to bake for another hour.
- Run a knife around the inner edges of the pan to loosen the bread & ease it out. If, when tapped on the bottom the bread sounds hollow, its done. Otherwise place it back in the oven just on the rack without its pan, and bake a bit more, until it passes the "hollow test", about 10 to 15 mins.
- Slice to serve & accompany with softened butter.