Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Yellow Split Pea Dhal
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
Tasty split pea dhal.
- 250g yellow split pea
- 1 litre water
- 2 slices of ginger (can leave peel on)
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 red chilli cut into two large pieces
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2cm ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 red chilli finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp garam masala
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 2 tomato chopped (Preferably peeled)
- 1 bunch chopped coriander leaf.
- STEP 1Rince split pea until water runs clear.
- STEP 2Boil 1 litre of water, add cinnamon stick, turmeric, chilli pieces and 2 slices of ginger. Simmer for 30-45 minutes (check packaging of split pea for recommended cooking lengths.)
- STEP 3Heat oil in frying pan and add cumin seed. Fry for 30 seconds and add onion, chilli (add aditional chilli here if required), ginger. Fry until onion is soft. Add garlic, coriander, garam masala and salt and fry for further two minutes. Add tomato plus 100ml water and allow to cook for 20-30 minutes.
- STEP 4Add spice mix to split pea and stir though. Squeeze in lemon juice and serve topped with coriander leaf.
- STEP 5Eat as a main with roti or as a side.