Truffled mac 'n' cheese
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 8 as a side or 6 as a main
- 500g macaroni
- 1l whole milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 60g butter
- 60g plain flour
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped thyme leaves
- 80g porcini white truffle paste or 2 tbsp truffle oil
- 1 tbsp porcini powder (or dried porcini mushrooms blitzed to a powder in a food processor)
- 80g taleggio cheese , chopped
- 125g ball of mozzarella , chopped
- 100g mature cheddar , grated
- 30g fresh breadcrumbs
- 30g parmesan , finely grated
- STEP 1
Cook the macaroni following pack instructions until al dente. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside to cool.
- STEP 2
Tip the milk and bay leaves into a pan and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat. Melt the butter in a large non-stick saucepan, then stir in the flour to make a thick paste, continuing to stir for 3-4 mins. Remove and discard the bay leaves from the milk, then gradually pour it into the flour and butter mix, continuously stirring to keep the sauce smooth. Add the mustard, thyme, truffle paste and porcini powder, then stir in the taleggio cheese and mozzarella until melted slightly. Remove from the heat, tip in the macaroni and stir to coat. Scrape into an ovenproof dish. Will keep chilled for up to 24 hrs.
- STEP 3
Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Sprinkle over the cheddar, breadcrumbs and parmesan, and bake for 20 mins until golden. For a crispy top, grill for 5 mins or until just golden. Serve straightaway.