- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus 2 hours setting time
- Cuts into 18 bars
- 100g dried ready-to-eat tropical medley or other mixed dried fruits
- 100g porridge oats
- 50g puffed rice cereal , such as Rice Krispies
- 85g desiccated coconut
- 50g blanched hazelnuts or shelled peanuts or other nuts
- 50g sunflower, sesame or pumpkin seeds
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 125ml golden syrup
- 100g butter , chopped up
- STEP 1
Chop the tropical medley into pieces using kitchen scissors. Tip the oats, cereal, coconut and fruit into a large bowl and mix well, using a wooden spoon or clean hands. Put the hazelnuts and sunflower, sesame or pumpkin seeds in a frying pan with no oil and, over a moderate heat, stir until they are lightly toasted. Leave to cool a little then tip into the bowl and mix.
- STEP 2
Put the sugar, syrup and butter in a small pan and heat gently, stirring with a wooden spoon until melted, then simmer for 2 minutes until slightly thicker and syrupy.
- STEP 3
Quickly stir the syrup into the dry mix, stirring until it all starts to bind and there are no dry patches.
- STEP 4
Quickly tip into a 20cm square tin and press down with the back of a spoon to even out the surface. Leave to cool and set – about 2 hours. Cut the mixture into 6 one way and 3 the other to make 18 bars. Store in a tin, or wrapped tightly in foil for up to a week.