Smoked mackerel salad with beetroot & horseradish dressing
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 150g bag baby salad leaves
- 300g/10oz pack smoked mackerel fillets, skinned and flaked
- 4 tbsp horseradish cream
For the dressing
- 3 small shallots , finely sliced into rings
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 cooked, peeled beetroot , 2 finely diced, 2 sliced into 18 slices
- 8 tbsp olive oil
- STEP 1
For the dressing, tip the shallots into a bowl with the vinegar, season and set aside to soften for a few mins. Mix the diced beetroot and olive oil into the shallots. The dressing can be made up to a day ahead and chilled.
- STEP 2
To serve, lightly toss the leaves with the mackerel and some of the dressing. Place 3 slices of beetroot onto each plate, pile the salad into the centre, then spoon the rest of the dressing around the outside. Spoon little blobs of horseradish around each plate and serve.