Singapore-style nyonya curry
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 80g nyonya curry paste (available online and at Waitrose & Partners, or see tip, below)
- 500g bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 200g potatoes, cut into 3cm cubes
- 150g carrots, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 100ml coconut milk
- cooked rice and naan breads (optional), to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Put 200ml water and the curry paste in a large ovenproof saucepan. Stir and bring to a gentle simmer over a low heat until the mixture is fragrant.
- STEP 2
Add the chicken, potatoes, carrots and onion, season and stir well to combine. Turn up the heat to medium and bring to the boil, stir in the coconut milk, then bring back to the boil. Remove from the heat, cover the pan and transfer to the oven to cook for 1 hr 15 mins, removing the lid after 45 mins, or until the veg is tender but not quite falling apart, and the chicken is cooked through. The curry should have a broth-like consistency. Check for seasoning.
- STEP 3
Serve in shallow bowls over rice, with some naan breads on the side, if you like. Will keep covered in the fridge for up to two days.