Roast romanesco with anchovies, capers & currants
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus 1 hr soaking
- Serves 4 as a side
- 25g currants
- 1 romanesco , broken into small florets
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 banana shallots , peeled, halved and sliced lengthways
- 2 garlic cloves , finely sliced
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 6 anchovies in oil, drained and roughly chopped
- ½ tbsp capers , drained and rinsed
- 10g pine nuts or flaked almonds, toasted
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley , or a mixture of roughly chopped parsley and mint
- squeeze of lemon juice
- STEP 1
Put the currants in a small bowl and cover with boiled water. Leave to soak for 1 hr. Heat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
- STEP 2
Arrange the romanesco in a roasting tin in a single layer. Add 2 tbsp of the oil, season and toss to combine. Roast for 20 mins until tender (keep an eye on it as it cooks more quickly than cauliflower), tossing halfway through to make sure it's evenly coloured.
- STEP 3
Meanwhile, cook the shallots in the remaining oil over a medium heat for about 10 mins until golden. Reduce the heat and add the garlic, chilli flakes and anchovies and cook for 2 mins more. Gently press the anchovies with the back of a wooden spoon to help them dissolve. Drain the currants and add to the pan along with the capers, nuts, herbs and lemon juice. Toss with the roasted romanesco and transfer to a serving plate.