Red lentil & sweet potato pâté
- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep 10 mins plus chilling
- Serves 4
This easy vegetarian dip is a healthy alternative to hummus and great with crudités in a lunchbox or served as a vegan pate as part of a snack selection.
- 1 tbsp olive oil , plus extra for drizzling
- ½ onion , finely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika , plus a little extra
- 1 small sweet potato , peeled and diced
- 140g red lentil
- 3 thyme sprigs, leaves chopped, plus a little extra to decorate (optional)
- 500ml low-sodium vegetable stock (choose a vegan brand, if desired)
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar (choose a vegan brand, if desired)
- pitta bread and vegetable sticks, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook slowly until soft and golden. Tip in the paprika and cook for a further 2 mins, then add the sweet potato, lentils, thyme and stock. Bring to a simmer, then cook for 20 mins or until the potato and lentils are tender.
- STEP 2
Add the vinegar and some seasoning, and roughly mash the mixture until you get a texture you like. Chill for 1 hr, then drizzle with olive oil, dust with the extra paprika and sprinkle with thyme sprigs, if you like. Serve with pitta bread and vegetable sticks.