- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Serves 4
- 500g pack lean minced beef
- 1 egg , beaten
- vegetable oil , for brushing
- 1⁄2 cucumber , peeled
- pinch sugar
- dash malt vinegar
- 4 tbsp light mayonnaise
- mustard , to taste (American, Dijon, English or wholegrain)
- 1 beefsteak tomato , cut into 4 slices
- 1 red onion , sliced into rings
- 1⁄2 iceberg lettuce , divided into leaves
- STEP 1
Mix together the minced beef and enough beaten egg to bind it together, seasoning with salt and pepper. Divide the mince into four, shaping and pressing each into a burger. Heat a grill pan or the grill. Brush the burgers with the oil and cook for 6-7 mins on each side (using a baking tray if beneath the grill) for medium.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, cut the cucumber into thick slices. Put the slices in a bowl and season with salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar. Add a small splash of malt vinegar and mix well. Stir together the mayonnaise and the chosen mustard.
- STEP 3
Present the burgers on the tomato slices, topping with the mustard mayonnaise, cucumber slices and onion rings. Finish with the burger on an iceberg leaf, topping with another leaf, if you prefer.