Mushroom & chickpea burgers
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
High in fibre and low in fat, these veggie burgers with spiced yogurt are the healthy way to enjoy fast food
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250g chestnut mushroom , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 bunch spring onions , sliced
- 1 tbsp medium curry powder
- zest and juice ½ lemon
- 400g can chickpea , rinsed and drained
- 85g fresh wholemeal breadcrumb
- 6 tbsp 0% Greek yogurt
- pinch ground cumin
- 2 mixed-grain muffins or rolls, toasted and halved
- 2 plum tomatoes , sliced
- handful rocket leaves
- STEP 1
Heat 1 tsp oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the mushroom, garlic and spring onion for 5 mins. Mix in the curry powder, lemon zest and juice and cook for 2 mins or until mixture looks quite dry. Tip out onto a plate to cool slightly.
- STEP 2
Use a potato masher or fork to mash the chickpeas in a bowl, leaving a few chunky pieces. Add the mushroom mix and the crumbs, then shape into 4 patties. Fry in the remaining oil for 3-4 mins on each side until crisp and browned.
- STEP 3
Mix the yogurt with the cumin. Place half a muffin on each plate, then spread with the yogurt. Top with the burgers, a few slices of tomato and a little rocket.