Hot & sour fish soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
James Martin's Asian soup combines a fragrant broth with fish, seafood and light noodles, topped with strong herbs
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- small piece ginger or galangal, sliced
- 850ml chicken or fish stock
- 175g thin rice noodles
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 fat red chillies , deseeded and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves , thinly sliced
- 300g raw, tail-on tiger prawns
- 200g/7oz skinless salmon fillet , cut into small cubes
- 4 spring onions , chopped
- handful coriander leaves
- handful mint leaves , torn
- juice 2 limes
- STEP 1
Put the coriander seeds and galangal or ginger in a saucepan. Pour in the stock, bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 5 mins. Leave to stand for 10 mins.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, cook the noodles following pack instructions. Drain and keep warm. Return stock to the boil. Add the fish sauce, chillies and garlic, reduce the heat and simmer for 2 mins. Add the prawns and salmon, return to a simmer and cook gently for about 5 mins until both are firm and cooked. Add the spring onions, herbs and lime juice, to taste.
- STEP 3
Divide the noodles between soup bowls. Using a slotted spoon, lift out the prawns and fish, and place on the noodles. Season the hot stock, pour into the bowls and serve with Spring rolls on the side.