Tomato tarts Margherita
Member recipe by lfarrow19
Delicious, crisp tarts with puff pastry bases, topped with a rich tomato sauce, mozzarella and salami and baked until risen and bubbling, served scattered with oregano
- For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 400g can Cirio Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 tsp sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 400g pack ready rolled puff pastry
- 225g/8oz mozzarella, sliced
- 4 slices salami
- 1 egg beaten
- fresh oregano, ripped
- watercress for decoration
- First make the tomato sauce. Heat oil in a pan and fry onion and garlic over gentle heat until softened but not brown. Pour over Cirio Chopped Tomatoes and sugar. Bring to bubbling and reduce slightly. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cool.
- Place pastry on a worktop and unroll flat. Using a saucer as a template, cut out 4 circles. Discard extra pastry. Spread over the cooled tomato sauce, leaving a rim of 1cm/1/2 in. Top with mozzarella and finish with a slice of salami. Brush egg wash over the exposed edge of the pastry.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven Gas 6 400F 200C for around 10 minutes, or until pastry is crisp, airy and golden. Serve warm scattered with ripped oregano leaves.