tomato sauce and rigatoni
Member recipe by vstothard
- 3 1/2 floz olive oil
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 x 400g chopped tinned toms (good quality)#400g good quality sausages
- 1tsp fennel seeds
- 8oz rigatoni
- chopped basil
- Heat oil in a heavy based saucepan. Add the onion and cook for 3 mins, stirring. Add garlic, season and cook for 2 mins more.
- Add toms and bring to the boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 10 mins, stirring.
- Use a knife to split open the sausages, then squeeze out the meat. Tip into a separate frying pan. Cook for 5 mins, breaking up the sausage meat with the back of a wooden spoon. Stir in the fennel seeds and cook for 5 mins more until the meat is cooked through and golden brown. Pour over the tomato sauce and leave to simmer while you cook the pasta in a pan of boiling water.
- Drain the pasta reserving a little of the water. If the sauce looks dry add a little of water then serve the sausage sauce spooned over the pasta. Sprinkle with basil.