Member recipe by spearsfresca
- * 1 Kg of lean mince beef (or lamb)
- * 300 Gm Tomato paste (puree)
- * 1.5 Kg eggplant (3-4 big pieces)
- * 250 Gm onions (chopped fine)
- * 12 big cloves of garlic
- * Green coriander leaves for garnish
- * lightly fried pine nuts for garnish
- * salt to taste
- * 2 Tbsp curry powder ( or all spice)
- * vegetable oil
- Peel and cut eggplant lengthwise into 3 mm thick slices.
- Fry eggplant slices till golden brown.
- Keep aside in a metal sieve to drain excess oil.
- Fry the onions and garlic in a deep pan till slightly golden.
- Add the meat, salt n spices to the onions and garlic, mix well and cover for 5 minutes or till done.
- Remove the meat from the pan and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add the tomato paste and enough beef stock to make a thick paste (3.5 big cups).
- In a shallow oven proof dish layer the eggplant and the meat, with eggplant on the bottom and top layers.
- Pour the sauce on the layers. The sauce should cover the entire mixture. If needed, add more water.
- Place the dish in a hot oven and cook for 20 minutes.Garnish with chopped green coriander and fried pine nuts.