Kuzu Guvec with Chestnuts
Member recipe by rorygillies
Delicious lamb stew with tomatoes and chestnuts in a red wine sauce
- 500g lamb (leg or shoulder, boneless), cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 20 pre roasted and shelled chestnuts
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sprig rosemary or 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large heavy based pan. fry the onions and garlic for a minute or two, until the onions are yellow, taking care not to burn the garlic.
- Add the lamb and stir until brown. Add the wine, bring to the boil and reduce by half, about 10 minutes.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, tomato puree, rosemary, bay leaves and salt and pepper and simmer, covered, for about 40 minutes.
- Add the chestnuts and cook for a further 20 minutes uncovered, until the sauce is really thick.