Mexican Spicy Chickpeas
Member recipe by mitrajam
Vegetarian simple mexican dish, full of protein and spices served well with fried tortilla's and cheddar cheese
- 10 oz dried chickpeas ( 1 can 19 oz chickpeas)
- 1 whole onion, peeled left whole
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 small dried hot red, chili, crumbled (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 10 oz skinned and chopped tomatoes
- 2-tbsp tomato paste
- 3 1/2 fluid oz water OR reserved bean liquid (if using dried)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Soak the chickpeas overnight in cold water. Drain and place in saucepan with teaspoon of salt and whole onion.
- Bring to hard boil for 10 minutes and simmer uncovered until chickpeas are cooked and tender.
- Drain and reserve liquid, OR use 1 can 19 oz chickpeas and miss this step.
- Heat oil in large pot, fry onion until soft, add garlic red pepper, and continue to cook for 5 minutes
- Stir in remaining salt, black pepper, chili, oregano, turmeric, tomatoes, tomato paste and some reserved
- liquid. Add the drained chickpeas and stir well, simmer for 10 minutes. Serve hot with chopped coriander leaves.