Festive Pickled Red Cabbage
Member recipe by mrmatty
ServingsServes 1 - 2 Jars
This spice, festive red cabbage recipe is sure to be well recieved. You could even give it to foodie friends too!
- 300 mls cider vinegar
- 300 mls malt vinegar
- 1 small red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 tsps of allspice berries
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 5 cloves
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Rinse the shredded red cabbage under cold water. Put it in a mixing bowl with the salt, and mix. Leave in the fridge for 4 hours.
- Pour the two vinegars into a pan and add the spices, seeds, berries and leaves. Bring to the boil, then remove from the heat and leave it to infuse for about an hour.
- When the cabbage is salted, rinse it thoroughly under cold water. Pack the cabbage into 2 clean, sterilised jars.
- Bring the vinegar back to the boil, and add the sugar. Over a low heat stir to dissolve the sugar.
- When it has dissolved, pour the vinegar over the cabbage, making sure it is completely covered. Leave it to cool for about an hour, before sealing the jars and storing them in the fridge for at least 2 weeks. It will keep for several months.