Fig and Fennel Scones
Member recipe by roobarb100
ServingsServes 1 - 18
- 250g Self Raising Flour
- 40g cold butter, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried figs, tendered, hard tops removed and chopped
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 150ml buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tsp water for glazing
- Sift flour with a pinch of salt into a bowl and using fingertips, rub in butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in figs and fennel seeds until combined.
- Use a butter knife to stir in buttermilk and mix until just comes together. Knead gently.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface until 2.5cm thick and using a 4cm round cutter, cut into rounds.
- Place scones 3cm apart on lightly greased tray. Brush tops with egg mixture and bake at 220C for 12-15 minutes.
- Serve warm with cheese and relish.