Chicken and Asparagus Risotto
Member recipe by chrisgibson86
- 2 chicken breasts, diced into 2.5cm chunks
- 250g carnaroli risotto rice
- 8 asparagus stalks, cut into 2.5cm sections
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 250ml white wine
- 1.5l good quality chicken stock
- olive oil
- grated parmesan (50-100g depending on preference)
- Season the chunks of chicken in salt and pepper and fry in oil for 3-4 minutes, then add the asparagus for a further 1-2 until everything is cooked. Place on a piece of kitchen roll for later use. Bring the stock to a simmer on the stove.
- Melt a good knob of butter and oil in a wide, heavy based frying pan and fry the shallots and garlic until translucent (taking care not to burn the garlic). Add in the rice and stir until all coated in oil - cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes until the rice husks split, from this point on do not stir the rice any more.
- Add the wine and cook until all the alcohol has been burned off, then add a ladle of stock to the rice. Once it has all been absorbed add another ladle, repeating for approximately 20 minutes. There is no exact science to cooking risotto, so the best way to check is to taste it to make sure it is cooked to your liking. If it is too firm, simply add more stock.
- Put back in the chicken and asparagus and warm through for 2-3 minutes.
- To finish, stir another good knob of butter into the rice and a good amount of grated parmesan, season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve in deep bowls with some parmesan shavings on top.