Quince and Honey Cake
Member recipe by debsywebsydoodah
- For the poached quinces
- 4-5 ripe quinces
- 500ml white wine
- 4 heaped tablespoons sugar
- For the cake
- 250g clear honey , plus about 2 tbsp extra to glaze
- 225g unsalted butter
- 100g dark muscovado sugar
- 3 large eggs , beaten
- 300g self-raising flour
- Dissolve the sugar in the wine. Peel quarter and core the quinces and pop them straight into the syrup (they discolour otherwise). Bring quinces to a steady simmer and simmer until tender. Remove from syrup and leave to drain. (I drain them over the poaching liquid so none of the lovely liquor is lost)
- Melt honey, butter and sugar together and boil for one minute. Leave to cool.
- Butter a 28cm non-stick cake tin. Heat oven to 150c. Beat eggs, flour into the honey mix.
- Pour into cake tin arrange the quince slices on top and bake in oven for about an hour. Spoon over some of the quince syrup and leave to cool in the tin. Serve with ice-cream and a little more of the syrup drizzled over the top.