Lemon and Poppyseed Cake
Member recipe by rachelismissing
- FOR THE SPONGE
- 115g unsalted butter (softened)
- 115g caster sugar
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 180g ground almonds
- 30g poppy seeds
- zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 125g self raising flour (sifted)
- FOR THE LEMON SYRUP
- 100g caster sugar
- 90g lemon juice
- FOR THE LEMON ICING
- 225g icing sugar
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat your oven to 180'C/350'F/gas 4. Grease and line the bottom and sides of a 20cm springform cake tin with greasproof paper.
- Use an electric whisk to beat the caster sugar and butter until light and creamy. Add in the eggs one by one, beating each in well.
- Then fold in your ground almonds and poppy seeds, the lemon zest and juice and the sifted flour.
- Spoon the mix evenly into the prepared cake tin and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Make your lemon syrup by heating the sugar and lemon juice in apan until the sugar has dissolved completely. Whilst your cake is still warm poke holes across the top with a cocktail stick and pour your syrup over.
- To make the icing,sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add the lemon zest and juice, stirring until nice and smooth. When your cake is almost cool, place it on your serving plate and pour the icing carefully over the top. If your icing is thick the you should be able to smother it on with a knife.