Victoria Sponge Cake
Member recipe by banana2711
A large and full filling victoria sponge with a delicious texture and taste.
- knob of butter, melted
- 225g/8oz butter, softened
- 225g/8oz caster sugar
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 225g/8oz self-raising flour, sifted (you may need a bit extra)
- For the filling
- 6 tbsp good-quality strawberry jam
- 300ml fl oz double cream, lightly whipped
- To serve,
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Gently heat the butter in a pan and brush two 6in-7in/15cm-17.5cm cake tins with the melted butter. Line the bottom of the two cake tins with a circle of greaseproof paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy, using an electric whisk or a wooden spoon. Beat well to get lots of air into the mixture (this should take a couple of minutes).
- Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add a tablespoon of flour if the mixture curdles.
- Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon. Be careful not to over-mix it.
- Pour the mixture equally between the two cake tins and level off the top with a spatula. Make a slight dip in the centre with the tip of the spatula if you don't want them to be pointed in the middle.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until the cakes spring back when pressed gently with a finger and are pale golden in colour.
- Remove from the tins after about 5-10 minutes and cool on a wire rack for about 30 minutes.