Gooey Molly Cake (fat free!)
Member recipe by charlythechef
A sticky, moist fruit cake miraculously made without butter or eggs. This is the ultimate guilt-free sweet treat
- 250g stoned dates, roughly chopped
- 300ml water
- 85g plain flour
- 85g wholemeal plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 500g mixed dried fruit
- 80 ml orange juice
- (Optional iced fruit topping)
- 50g sifted icing sugar
- 1/2 tbsp apricot jam
- 1/2 tbsp water
- 3 chopped dried apricots
- 4 chopped glacier cherries
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Place the dates in a saucepan, and add the water. Bring the mixture to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Sieve the plain flour, wholemeal flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Add the mixed spice and cinnamon.
- Pour the wet date mixture into the dry mix, then add the dried fruit and the orange juice. Stir gently with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a greasproof paper-lined loaf tin, or divide it between 6 smaller tins. Bake for 40-45 minutes if making one large loaf, or 30 minutes for the mini mollies. A skewer stuck in the centre of the cake should come out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool on a wire rack for at least an hour. To make the iced topping (if using), melt the jam and water together in the microwave. Add wet mixture to the icing sugar, and stir well. Drizzle over the cake, and sprinkle the chopped apricots and cherries on the top. Alternatively, decorate with ready to roll icing, cut into shapes.