french onion soup
Member recipe by elle8890
- 5 onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 20g/ÃÂ¾oz butter
- 2 or 3 glasses of red wine
- 750ml/1ÃÂ¼ pint fresh beef stock
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 8 thick slices of bread
- 284g/10oz gruyÃÂ¨re cheese, grated
- 2 shots of brandy (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 10g/ÃÂ½oz flatleaf parsley
- Peel and thinly slice the onions and garlic. Then using the butter saute in a large pan for 15-20 minutes, until brown. Stir well before adding the red wine, stock, vinegar and brandy. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Toast the bread and top with the grated cheese and place under the grill until the cheese is melted.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper.
- Keeping the soup in the pan, top with the sliced bread and a sprinkle of cheese. Place under the grill until it turns brown and the cheese has melted.
- Scatter with fresh chopped parsley and serve from the pan at the table.