- 1 low-salt vegetable stock cube
- 2 nests medium egg noodles
- 1 small head broccoli, broken into florets
Like cabbage and cauliflower, broccoli is a brassica and is sometimes known by its Italian name…
- 1 tbsp sesame oil, plus extra to serve
- 250g pack shiitake or chestnut mushroom, thickly sliced
- 1 fat garlic clove, finely chopped
- ½ tsp chilli flakes, or crumble one dried chilli into pieces
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
Also known as scallions or green onions, spring onions are in fact very young onions, harvested…
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- handful roasted cashew nuts
The seeds from the 'Cashew Apple' - a tree which bears bright orange fruit and is native…
Put the stock cube into a pan of water, then bring to the boil. Add the noodles, bring the stock back to the boil and cook for 2 mins. Add the broccoli and boil for 2 mins more. Reserve a cup of the stock, then drain the noodles and veg.
Heat a frying pan or wok, add the sesame oil and stir-fry the mushrooms for 2 mins until turning golden. Add the garlic, chilli flakes and most of the spring onions, cook 1 min more, then tip in the noodles and broccoli. Splash in 3 tbsp of the stock and the hoisin sauce, then toss together for 1 min using a pair of tongs or 2 wooden spoons. Serve the noodles scattered with the cashew nuts and remaining spring onions. Add a dash more sesame oil to taste, if you like.