Tomato & Red Pepper Sauce
Member recipe by harley121202
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jar roasted red peppers (large jar from Sainsburys), chopped
- 1 tin italian chopped tomatoes
- 1 large glass nice red wine
- Sprinkling dried thyme
- Sprinkling dried oregano
- Large handfull baby plum tomatoes
- Cook the onions in a little oil until softened and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute, then add the peppers and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the tinned tomatoes, red wine, herbs and season well. Mix thoroughly and simmer down for 20 mins or so.
- Squeeze the baby plum tomatoes between your fingers and rip the flesh into 3 or 4 pieces, adding the flesh and the juice to the sauce. Cook down a little more. If you want the sauce for fish or chicken, you need to cook it down to a thick consistency. If it is for pasta on its own you want it a bit runnier. If it is for pasta and meatballs you want it runnier still as it needs to coat the pasta as well as the meatballs. Use your judgement. Whichever way you are serving this sauce it is great with freshly grated parmesan over the top!