Herby porcini on polenta
Member recipe by niamhneville
Easy light starter, great when cooking for friends. The mushrooms and rosemary give it a lovely earthy flavour.
- 600g fresh porcini or other mushroom mix, wiped and sliced into half a centimetre thick slices
- 3 tablespoons of good extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of fresh sage or oregano, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
- 1 packet of ready-made polenta with a small amount of oil for griddling
- Slice the polenta into chunky slices (about 3 per person) and brush lightly with oil. Brown in a griddle pan, or pop under a grill, turning until golden on both sides.
- Meanwhile the mushrooms are cooked in two batches so they retain their flavour. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan and cook about half the mushrooms, so they don't overlap in the pan. Cook for around 3 minutes on a high heat.
- Toss in half the garlic and herbs, season and cook for another 2 minutes until tender and browned.
- Repeat with the rest of the mushrooms, oil and herbs and add the red wine vinegar at the end. Mix both batches of mushrooms together.
- Arrange the mushroom mixture on the polenta slices. You can add extra chopped herbs or drizzle extra oil if you like.