Member recipe by ds0rco
Not an ordinary Chilli Con Carne, I've developed this recipe over quite a few years. It may contain some ingredients you won't expect!
- 450 g minced steak
- sunflower oil as required
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 4 Bird's eye chillies (de-seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 (330ml) bottle Continental lager
- 200g carton passata
- 7cm squirt tomato puree
- 1 Knorr vegetable stock pot
- 2 squares dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon paprika (smoked if possible)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 lime
- 1 (400g) tin kidney beans
- 12 button mushrooms
- 20g chopped fresh coriander
- Brown the mince off in a large saucepan in a little oil.
- Sweat the onion in a frying pan until it starts to go translucent, add the garlic and chilli, and fry for a further 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic and chili to the mince, then add the lager and stir until the froth dies down.
- oil, then add the stockpot. Put the chocolate into the pan and stir until melted.
- Add the paprika, cayenne, salt, sugar, cumin, chilli and oregano. Squeeze the half lime into the pot and stir. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and mushrooms to the pan and simmer for a further 15 minutes.
- About 5 minutes from the end of the cooking, put the coriander into the pot and stir in.