A bowl of green goodness
Member recipe by mykitchenantics
- Green asparagus spears- 500 gms, cleaned
- Shredded coconut- 3 tbsp or more
- Green chillies- 3, slit lengthwise
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 2 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves- a sprig (optional)
- Cut and discard the woody base and chop the asparagus heads into small pieces.
- Crush the coconut, green chillies, turmeric powder and cumin seeds together to a coarse mix, either with your hands or with a pestle and mortar.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat the oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add the coarse coconut mix and the curry leaves (if any) at this stage. Sauté for a few seconds on medium heat, but make sure you don't burn them.
- Add the chopped asparagus heads and salt. Stir well, making sure the coconut mix and the asparagus is combined evenly.
- Close the lid and cook on medium heat, stirring in between and if it sticks to the bottom, pour about a tsp water.
- Notes: If you want the asparagus a bit crunchy...under cook it a bit and it would taste just as good. You can replace cumin seeds with a 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cumin powder